Thursday, April 12, 2012

Herb Ritts & The Getty

If you didn’t already know, I am absolutely obsessed with the Getty Center.  It’s a great place to spend a day observing not only art, but architecture, people and the great outdoors.  When I was first living in LA several years ago, I would head up to the Getty by myself and spend hours in my own personal “heaven” of solitude and beauty.  Now, I take visitors and friends and am pleased to see they enjoy its magnificence almost as much as I do.  Last Sunday, we attended the opening weekend of the new Herb Ritts photography exhibition in the West Pavilion (AMAZE-BALLS!).  Unfortunately, we weren’t able to take any photographs in the exhibit, but below is the entrance to the exhibit (which I was able to snap) and one of his more well-known images I pulled from his website.  The exhibit runs until the end of August, so if you have the opportunity, SEE IT! 
Stephanie, Cindy, Christy, Tatjana, Naomi, Hollywood, 1989
Southeast Upper Terrace - Getty Center

After lunch, we headed over to survey the and 17th  & 18th century furniture in the Getty’s permanent collection – where we were able to snap away as much as our little hearts desired.  It’s breathtaking what they used to do with wood!  Below are a few detail shots of desks and cabinets with extraordinary marquetry work.  Why don’t people put this same level (or even half) of passion into their work anymore.  Just a little food for thought!
I dare someone to try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...