Thursday, February 23, 2012

Yesteryear

I find things from the past fascinating;  I always have.  I definitely wouldn’t call myself a history fanatic, but I love a good story or picture or object from yesteryear.  The street we live on in East LA is a hidden gem, in our eyes, and we are lucky enough to have a neighbor that feels the same and has been researching and documenting our street for the past decade or so.  She is known as “the Mayor” and she even keeps a blog about her findings, what’s going on in the ‘hood and announcements, etc.  One of my favorite sections of her blog is titled, “Historic Neighborhood Photos”.  Some of the photos date back to the late nineteenth century and it’s fascinating to see the lay of the land before we (kind of) destroyed it.  One of my favorites is from April of 1950 when it snowed; how fun!  This is why I love a good picture:

Our neighborhood, 1905.
Same shot, 25 years later.  Circa 1930.
Our street (a corkskrew cul de sac), 1922. 
Yes, that is mini-golf being played.
LA River flood of 1927.
Snow! April, 1950.
Then and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...