Friday, January 20, 2012

Prepster

When I was a kid, my mom had a collection of Dooney and Bourke bags.  Like Coach, they were the “it” bag in the early 90’s and for my twelfth birthday, I received a small crossbody “Duck Bag” (like below) – which I was pleased to see they still make today.  Like all things “of the moment”, D&B slipped into the shadows and was replaced by ostentatious logo bags like Louis Vuitton and Gucci, who were then replaced with the none-logo “it” bags, like Balenciaga and the more subtle logo bags, like Chanel.  And yes, I will admit that I followed suit and own one from each era. 

But within the past few months, the vintage D&B bags have been cropping up in my neighborhood of Silver Lake.  They look fresh again and I’ve definitely been admiring the classic styling and timeless sense of yuppie-chic simplicity.  When I was home in Arizona over Christmas, I was pleased to see that my mom has kept almost all of her original D&B’s (in protective dust bags) and I was lucky enough to take home this guy (which I have been lovingly using):


Refinery 29 also did a web-blast this week titled, “The Unexpected It Bags You’ll Worship in 2012”, in which this D&B beauty made the list:


I’m happy to see the comeback of a classic!   Happy weekend!


1 comment:

  1. I have a Dooney and Bourke bag I picked up years ago too thats now my staple black bag. What a pleasant surprise!

    Julia
    Tartan & Sequins

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...